As a Formulations Manager, you bring our client beverage ideas to life by being the consultant who manages the product development of their beverage formula. You are the Voice of the Client with our flavor house and ingredient partners; the Formulations Manager explores innovative functional ingredients, flavors, and current beverage trends to provide expert insights and advice to BevSource clients.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, maintain, and utilize beverage industry knowledge – be the expert!
- Manage formulation of beverages based on SOW requirements
- Develop targeted project brief and review scale-up and commercialization requirements, clearly clarifying and documenting restrictions and managing client’s expectations
- Manage relationships with flavor and ingredient houses
- Identify flavor and ingredient partners for each project, share project brief, and establish time-lines to coordinate samples and prototypes
- Develop and procure premixes, colors, and other raw materials from ingredient company partners for beverage projects according to specified requirements (i.e. claims, nutritionals, regulatory, marketing, organoleptic profile, etc)
- Ensure all deadlines are met for the successful completion of projects
- Serve as a technical, scientific, and basic-regulatory advisor to clients
- Communicate opportunities to improve product quality, shelf-life, or cost of goods based on knowledge of ingredient alternatives and trade-off decisions in the market
- Travel to flavor and ingredient companies to facilitate on-site prototyping sessions to finalize formulations as needed
- Support Project Managers, Client Success Managers, and Supply Chain Managers with commercialization processes for production set-up of new and existing formulas
- Recommend commercial batching procedures, and analyze process authority letters to establish specification targets
- Travel to copackers to provide production support
- Utilize MRP/ERP/PM software and systems effectively
- Organize and maintain client files, specifications, regulatory documents, and other records
- Support a culture of continuous improvement
- Participate in the BevSource EOS Vision / Traction focus, discipline, and accountability process
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications & Skills:
- Bachelor's degree in Food Science or related scientific field
- 5+ years minimum experience in beverage R&D, or applications, technical-service / technical-sales of beverage flavors, colors, functional ingredients, etc.
- Expert in RTD beverage formulation development, ingredient functionality, ingredient/chemistry interactions, sensory evaluation, stability testing, microbiology, and processing as it relates to product commercialization
- Product development knowledge of most beverage types: juice, tea, functional beverages, CSDs, beer, spirits, cider, malt-based beverages, hard seltzers, other fermented beverages, dairy, non-dairy alternatives, dry-mix beverages, etc. preferred.
- Proven track record of successful product launches
- Experience in working with a team in a client services, consulting environment preferred
- Strong experimental excellence and well-developed communication and collaboration skills
- Strong understanding of beverage industry standards of quality, food safety and compliance regulations including: FDA, USDA, TTB, Organic, Kosher, Gluten Free, etc.
- Ability to discuss challenging product development options, formulation trade-offs in regards to: processing, scale-up, commercial feasibility, claims, and compliance, etc.
- Strategic thinker with ability to build effective plans to support innovative initiatives
- The ability to plan, design prototypes, problem solve, and set priorities
- Ability to learn new products and processes quickly
- Enthusiasm for research and formulating/improving beverages
- Detail-oriented, with a strong ability to review documentation for accuracy, completeness, and compliance
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency in a fast-paced environment
- Self-directed and hard-working
- Energetic and Enthusiastic with a willingness to learn and grow within the company
- Willingness and flexibility to travel up to 15% of the time (international travel may be required) and ability to work nights and weekends when traveling
To Apply: Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Video cover letters are strongly encouraged.