By Dan Macri, Exectutive Vice President of Business Development & Strategy, BevSource
Premix – a customized blended of two or more ingredients such as vitamins, minerals, amino acids, botanicals, and sweeteners.
One of the top pitfalls when starting a beverage lies within the formulation process. Having a complex formula can impact your beverage and your finances on many levels. Even simple formulas can prove to be challenging. Having a formulation that is easy to work with can yield consistent production results when manufactured in a commercial environment. Additionally, it can lower costs and reduce overall loss.
Many of today’s beverages utilize dedicated ingredients for specific functional benefits, or complex combinations to attain a desired result from consumption. Some choose to use unique ingredients to set their beverage apart from the rest of the pack.
Implementing a premix into the production equation can provide the following benefits:
- Increases efficiencies in material loss
- Allow for the ability to order smaller quantities of ingredients/manage minimum order quantities
- Reduce financial waste on materials that expire before they can be depleted based on MOQ’s
- Manages lead-times on raw materials effectively
- Increases consistency during the batching process
- Gives consistent production results from a flavor, aesthetic, and functionality perspective
- Provides potential cost reductions at the contract manufacturing facility, or increase efficiencies within a production facility
- Mitigates measurement errors during batching process
- Can be implemented as a wet or dry solution
- Provides an additional layer of privacy & protection to the formulation
- Adds additional quality checks on ingredient potency & quality at the premix vendor
- Eases the management of usage rates, ensuring label claims are being delivered
- Can be produced in a variety of quantities to fit production budgets which promotes routine ingredient turnover to maximize freshness
The next time you plan to develop a beverage, look to a premix for a competitive edge.
Questions? Find out more about premixes & ingredients for your beverage by contacting one of our representatives today.